Timeline for the commercial real estate process
Depending on the size of your facility space needs, finding suitable space, negotiating a new lease, purchase or build, and moving in can take anywhere from three to eighteen months. Proper planning in the initial stages eliminates wasted time and money. The Schenk Company specializes in strategic planning with you to ensure your goals are met and your bottom line is improved.
The Leasing Process
An experienced and reliable tenant representative can make a huge difference in the successful outcome of your search for office space. A tenant renting office space does so only a few times in his or her corporate life. Landlords rent space over and over again. Level the playing field by taking advantage of the availability of a good tenant representative. You will find that there is usually no cost to you. In the long run, you will end up way ahead in not only rent you pay, but also in avoiding mistakes. Don’t be afraid to ask your prospective brokers questions to make sure they can perform for you.
Questions to Ask When Selecting a Tenant Representative
- Are you free of any conflicts of interest if we work together?
- Are you primarily a tenant advocate or listing agent?
- Do you have time to work on this project?
- What other projects are you currently working?
- What is your experience in finding properties like mine?
- How many tenant representation transactions have you handled in the past 3 years?
- What is your negotiating policy?
- Are you knowledgeable about market conditions?
- How do you handle conflicts of interest, such as when you show me space that you or your company represents on behalf of a landlord?
- How would you describe your reputation in the business community?
- Can you supply references?
- How do you get paid? What commission do you expect to receive?